Chicken Stuffed Peppers
If you’ve been looking for an alternative to traditional stuffed peppers, these chicken stuffed peppers bring a low carb and cheesy twist to this recipe. Using shredded or canned chicken makes this a very easy recipe to throw together last minute. It is filling and totally keto-friendly!
**Disclosure** This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you click the link our website may make a small commission for advertising this product to you. It does not cost you more, but it helps to keep our site running.
Sometimes I find full stuffed peppers to be a bit cumbersome to eat (and stuff). Instead of using a whole bell pepper per serving, this recipe slices the bell pepper in half, lengthwise. Each half is stuffed with a chicken mixture, baked, then topped with cheese (and baked again for a few minutes). Super easy to make and ready in 30 minutes!
Is this chicken stuffed peppers recipe low carb?
Yes! This recipe for chicken stuffed bell peppers is definitely low carb and keto-friendly! Traditional stuffed pepper recipes are made with a rice mixture, but this one just uses mushrooms and chicken. It is still satisfying!!
It is important to consume vegetables on a low carb diet and bell peppers, when used in moderation, are totally safe (they’re also a great source of Vitamin C)! Mushrooms are very low carb as well!
Some recipes call for a LOT of dairy, but this one uses a relatively small amount when you separate it by 6 servings.
Ingredients for this Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
The ingredients for making these stuffed bell peppers are pretty simple. They’re healthy and low carb too!
- Bell Peppers – Sliced in half lengthwise then cleaned out.
- Shredded chicken – you could use rotisserie chicken, canned chicken, or simply cook some chicken and shred it.
- Mushrooms – finely minced. These will mix into the chicken mixture.
- Cottage Cheese – This helps as a binder. If you don’t have cottage cheese you could use softened cream cheese or ricotta.
- Dried parsley – I love Litehouse brand!
- Garlic – Minced
- Shredded Cheese – You can use any type, I used Mozzarella
- Salt – To taste – I used 1/4 -1/2 tsp but everyone varies on how much they like and don’t like salt.
Tips for making Chicken Stuffed Peppers
When making this chicken stuffed pepper recipe, it’s pretty hard to mess it up. However, here are some tips to make the process easy!
When buying bell peppers (you can use any color, the red and orange will be sweeter) try to find ones that have four nodules on the bottom. These will lay flat more easily and provide similar sizes of the final product.
If you buy bell peppers in a bag, they’re often a bit smaller than buying them individually. The pictures in this recipe were of these smaller bell peppers.
Slice the bell pepper in half lengthwise then take a smaller knife (like a paring knife) to cut out the stem and then pull out the membranes and seeds which you’ll discard.
Chicken – the chicken you choose for this recipe can come from a variety of sources. I mentioned these above but you really just need shredded chicken. I used drained canned chicken but you can use shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken.
Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes! These chicken stuffed bell peppers are great made ahead of time. You can make a batch and freeze them for up to 2 months! Make sure you use air-tight packaging or freezer ziplock bags.
More recipes using bell peppers
Connect with Yellow Glass Dish
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to join the @yellowglassdish community on
You can also join the YGD Facebook community! Also, get awesome low carb recipe inspiration on Pinterest.
For THM friends, this is an (S)
Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 3 Bell peppers Medium size
- 1 cup Mushrooms Finely chopped
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken
- ½ cup Cottage Cheese
- 1 tsp Dried parsley
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- ¼ tsp salt (more to taste)
- ½ cup Shredded Cheese I used mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 375° (190°C).
- Slice bell peppers length-wise and clean out the seeds and fibers. Place in an oven-safe dish face-up.
- In a bowl, combine shredded chicken, mushrooms, cottage cheese, parsley, salt, and garlic. Combine thoroughly then spoon it into each bell pepper half.
- Bake at 375° (190°C) for 20 minutes. Pull the pan out and top each stuffed pepper with shredded cheese. Place back in the oven for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.