Instant Pot Keto Green Bean Casserole
If you’ve been looking for an easy keto green bean casserole recipe, this is the ONE because it is made in the Instant Pot! You make the cheesy sauce from scratch, no cans involved. You can finish this casserole by broiling it for a few minutes!
**Disclosure** This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you click the link our website may make a small commission for advertising this product to you. It does not cost you more, but it helps to keep our site running.
This recipe is creamy and so packed with flavor! If you’re cooking a holiday meal and need the stove, making this Instant Pot green bean casserole will save the day.
Green Bean Casserole – an American Favorite
If anyone says “Thanksgiving” my mind automatically jumps to green bean casserole. This is my faaaaavorite side dish at holiday times! I don’t know why we don’t make it more often, but such is life.
I went to the interwebs to find out when this casserole was invented. Wikipedia, the most reliable source of information, came through with the answer! It was invented in 1955 by the Campbell Soup Company. I guess they were trying to market their soup as a casserole filler.
Whatever it was that they did, this casserole is not going anywhere! It is here to stay, especially on the Thanksgiving table! I had to figure out a way to make this recipe low-carb, and thus, you’re here, reading this recipe.
Can you make Green Bean Casserole in the Instant Pot?
Yes! You can make green bean casserole in the Instant Pot. This is especially handy if you’re using your stove to cook other food on a holiday or you need to prepare this without a stove.
Now, when you see the pictures of this casserole, it is in a pretty casserole dish. This was the final part of making the casserole look like a casserole.
If you don’t have an oven, that is totally fine. This recipe instructs you to broil the casserole for a few minutes so that the cheese gets nice and bubbly. You can absolutely just sprinkle cheese over the hot casserole then serve your casserole if you don’t have an oven for the broiling step.
Is this Green Bean Casserole Low Carb?
Yes! This is a keto-friendly recipe made with low carb ingredients. Most traditional green bean casserole recipes call for french-fried onions. This is where the majority of the carbs are found. The other carbs are found in the canned soup, this green bean casserole is made without canned soup.
By frying our own onions, this ensures that the only carbs are from the onions themselves. While onions DO have carbs, this whole recipe uses 1/2 c of thinly sliced onions.
Since this recipe gives you the steps to make your own sauce, you can know for sure what ingredients are in the casserole. I checked the nutrition facts for traditional cream of mushroom soup, and was surprised to find that the additives contain starches and flours that add a considerable amount of carbs!
This recipe only has ingredients that are gluten-free and friendly to a low-carb lifestyle. Each serving is 6g net carbs!
Ingredients for this Keto Green Bean Casserole Recipe
The measurements for this recipe, found in the recipe card, make enough for 8 servings.
To make this Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole without canned soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- Green Beans (frozen is easiest)
- Cream Cheese
- Beef, Chicken, or vegetable broth
- Avocado oil (this prevents the butter from burning)
- Mushrooms (fresh or frozen)
- Cream Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt and pepper
Tips for Making this Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This recipe involves several steps, so pay attention!
First, you’ll steam the green beans. You don’t want to cook these for long, and you want to run them under cold water when they’re done cooking to stop the cooking process!
The next step is to saute the onions. You want them to brown so that they’ll be a flavorful topping for this casserole! Add salt and pepper to this step for extra flavor flaveee!
When making the sauce, cut the cream cheese into blocks and make sure it is softened. You can use a whisk to prevent lumps!
Once the sauce is made and the beans are added to it, add 1/2 of the cheese to the Instant Pot mixture. Save half for the topping.
Serve the casserole in a casserole dish, top it with the cheese and fried onion strips.
If you are able to, broil the casserole for 3-5 minutes. The cheese will be bubbly and brown. If you don’t have an oven, don’t worry this casserole will STILL be amazing!
Is this a vegetarian Green Bean Casserole?
This can be a vegetarian casserole if you use vegetable stock in making the sauce. The rest of the ingredients completely fit with a vegetarian lifestyle.
What Kind of Green Beans should I use?
For this particular recipe, I used 2 bags of frozen cut green beans. The total amount of green beans was between 5-6 cups. You could use fresh or frozen. I don’t suggest canned, as they are super mushy.
When cooking green beans in the Instant Pot, place 1 cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot, place the green beans in a steamer basket and steam for 1 minute. The total time to get to pressure and release will be 10-15 minutes depending on if you use fresh or frozen. Fresh will be faster because the Instant Pot won’t have to thaw them.
Can you make Keto Green Bean Casserole ahead of time?
Yes! If you’d like to prepare this ahead of time, you can! When you’re done making it, don’t broil it, you could even wait to put the final cheese on top until you’re ready to heat it to serve it. I wouldn’t suggest freezing it, but you can store it in the fridge for up to three days and then heat it when you’re ready to eat.
More Recipes to try!
If it’s your turn to cook a turkey this year, here is a great brined turkey recipe! Just make sure you follow the low carb instructions! You can also make this cauliflower mash with sour cream to wow your guests!
Connect with Yellow Glass Dish
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to join the @yellowglassdish community on
You can also join the YGD Facebook community! Also, get awesome low carb recipe inspiration on Pinterest.
For THM friends, this is an (S)
Instant Pot Keto Green Bean Casserole
- 5 cups Green beans in bite-sized pieces 2 frozen 10oz bags
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil
- ½ cup Onions Thinly sliced
- 1 cup Chopped Mushrooms fresh or frozen
- 4 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 4 oz Cream cheese Softened
- ½ c Broth chicken, beef, or vegetable
- 1/3 cup Half & half or heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
Steam the Green Beans
- Steam green beans in the Instant Pot in a steamer basket with 1 cup of water for 1 minute. Manually release the pressure when it is done.
- Drain and rinse the green beans with cold water to stop cooking. The total time to get to pressure and release for frozen green beans was 18 minutes in an 8qt Instant Pot.
- Empty water from the Instant Pot Pan.
Prepare the Casserole sauce
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode. Heat the butter and oil in the pan then add thinly sliced onions. Add salt and pepper. Saute onions until they are golden brown and starting to crisp. Remove the onions from the Instant Pot pan and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to the remaining oil and cook through then add garlic and stir it for about one minute or until aromatic. Add softened cream cheese, broth, and cream to the pan. Stir into a sauce. Add salt and pepper. Return green beans and combine thoroughly. Add ½ of the cheese and mix it in.
- Place green bean casserole in a casserole dish, then top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and the fried onions.
- Broil the casserole for 3-4 minutes. (If you don't have access to an oven, simply make sure all of the cheese melts on the green bean casserole. It wont be browned and bubbly on top but it will still taste amazing!)