Instant Pot Cauliflower Mac And Cheese
Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
You might be a skeptic when you hear about cauliflower mac and cheese but this is an awesome gluten-free, keto version of the real thing. In this Instant Pot recipe, you’ll learn the best way to steam cauliflower in order to make this low carb mac and cheese recipe.
**Disclosure** This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you click the link our website may make a small commission for advertising this product to you. It does not cost you more, but it helps to keep our site running.
Is this “Mac And Cheese” recipe keto or low carb?
The answer to this question is an emphatic yes. All of the ingredients used in making this recipe are low carb. One serving is around 4g net carbs! That is incredible compared to the 45g net carbs in a serving of mac and cheese from the box!
The sauce for this recipe is so easy and has simple ingredients that you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making your own “mac and cheese” for years! I’m all about the cheese sauce!
Ingredients for this Cauliflower Mac And Cheese Recipe
The ingredients to make this cauliflower mac and cheese recipe in the Instant Pot are super simple!
- Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Half and half (or heavy cream)
- Salt & Pepper
How to Steam Cauliflower in the Instant Pot
If you’ve tried steaming vegetables in the Instant Pot, you may know that there is a tricky science to not getting mushy vegetables.
The trick is ZERO. Yes, zero!
To steam cauliflower to the perfect texture, set the steam mode to “0” minutes. This will make the Instant Pot rise to pressure, once it beeps, do a manual steam release.
This next step is very important! Carefully remove the steamer basket from the Instant Pot and run the cauliflower under cold water so that it stops cooking.
This is how you steam cauliflower in the Instant Pot. This also works for other vegetables like broccoli and okra.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Here are some tips for easily making low carb cauliflower mac and cheese in the Instant Pot.
Be sure to follow the above steps for steaming the cauliflower!
Have all of the sauce ingredients ready before you turn the Instant Pot to saute mode to make the sauce.
When making the sauce, you need to move quickly so that nothing burns and that everything mixes into a smooth sauce. Use a wire whisk to make sure the cheddar mixes into the half and half and butter.
Be sure to carefully drain the cauliflower before you add it back to the mac and cheese sauce. Otherwise, your sauce will be runny and you’ll need to let it simmer to cook the liquid off.
Can you make this Mac and Cheese recipe ahead of time?
While you can make this recipe ahead of time, it is best eaten fresh. The texture of the sauce changes when it is chilled.
Can I use this cheese sauce on other vegetables?
If you’re not a fan of cauliflower, you could use this cheese sauce on other vegetables. Some keto-friendly suggestions would be zucchini, broccoli, green beans, or okra. You’re welcome to use other vegetables that you choose!
Can I make this recipe without an Instant Pot?
Yes! You can totally make this cauliflower mac and cheese on the stove. You can follow the instructions in the recipe card and just use a stove for boiling water to steam the cauliflower. You’ll also cool and strain the cauliflower to stop the cooking process. Next, make the sauce in a pan and return the cauliflower to the pan to fully cover the cauliflower with the cheese sauce.
More Recipes to try!
Ginger Garlic Chicken Rice – This is also made with cauliflower!
Green Bean Casserole – Another cheesy, creamy dish that is made in the Instant Pot!
Roasted Tumeric Cauliflower – Another delicious cauliflower recipe!
Instant Pot Meatballs – These would be a great protein option to serve with your cauliflower mac and cheese!
Keto Mock Applesauce – Another iconic food in the American household that has been modified for the low carb lifestyle! (PS, it’s made with squash!)
Connect with Yellow Glass Dish
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to join the @yellowglassdish community on
You can also join the YGD Facebook community! Also, get awesome low carb recipe inspiration on Pinterest.
For THM friends, this is an (S)
Instant Pot Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 4 cups Cauliflower florets in bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ½ c Half and half or heavy cream
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Steam The Cauliflower in the Instant Pot
- Add 1 cup of cold water to the bottom of the Instant Pot then place florets in a vegetable steamer basket.
- Press the steam button and set it to zero minutes. Close the lid and make sure the sealing valve is closed.
- Once the Instant Pot tells you it is done, manually release the steam. (total time to get to steam then release was 12 minutes in my 8qt Instant Pot)
- Carefully remove the steamer basket of cauliflower (with an oven mitt) and run the cauliflower under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Empty the water in your Instant Pot.
Make the Mac and Cheese Sauce
- Turn the pot onto saute mode and add butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the half and half (or heavy cream), salt and pepper. Next, slowly add the shredded cheese. Use a wire whisk to mix the cheese with the cream once it is mixed allow it to form into a sauce.
- Be sure your cauliflower is well-drained then add the cauliflower to the sauce. Mix the cauliflower and cheese sauce until fully incorporated and the sauce reaches your desired thickness.