The Best Keto Instant Pot Ribs
The Best Keto Instant Pot Spare Ribs with a Low Carb Rub
Look no further for the best keto instant pot ribs recipe. These spare ribs are fall off the bone! You can make your own keto dry rub and use that for other bbq recipes. The majority of the time spent cooking these keto ribs is done in the Instant Pot, then you finish it by using the broiler.
**Disclosure** This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you click the link our website may make a small commission for advertising this product to you. It does not cost you more, but it helps to keep our site running.
A few years ago we went to a rib fest where ribs in every form were brought to a potluck. I could not believe how many racks of ribs there were, but unfortunately, quite a few recipes were underwhelming.
When thinking about making ribs, the biggest deterrent for me is time. I don’t want to monitor a grill or smoker for hours on hours or even have ribs bake in my oven for what feels like an eternity. So, as you can guess, we don’t have ribs very often.
Using an electric pressure cooker like the Instant Pot changed the game entirely.
In around an hour I can have ribs seasoned and cooked and they’re the fall-off-the-bone type. Yes, and please.
But not only are they ready quickly, but they’re also low carb.
With a mixture of spices and monk fruit sweetener, a dry rub is sufficient. In fact, I prefer dry rubs to saucy sauces. Apparently, this is a popular style of rib in Memphis. Thanks, Tennessee!
Are Ribs Low Carb?
It depends on how you prepare ribs, but the ribs by themselves are low carb. People run into trouble with ribs when they put on barbeque sauce that has a lot of sugar in it, or put on rubs that also have a lot of sugar.
This Yellow Glass Dish recipe is low carb because we’re simply using meat and a homemade dry rub that is made with low-carb ingredients. This means, that these ribs are great for a low carb diet.
Low Carb Dry Rub for The Best Keto Instant Pot Ribs Recipe
If you want to make a rib rub without sugar, it is really easy.
The ingredients you need to make this keto dry rub are
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Parsley
- Black Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Monkfruit Sweetener
How To Cook Ribs in the Instant Pot
Once the seasoning is ready, there are just a few more steps in preparing the ribs.
Salt the ribs and then rub them down with your dry rub.
In the Instant Pot, you need to use the metal rack that comes with it so that you can steam the ribs. Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pot and 2 tbsp of liquid smoke. Liquid smoke does exactly what it says, it gives a smokey flavor to the meat!
Roll the rack of ribs up and lay them upright in the Instant Pot.
Set the Instant Pot on manual High Pressure for about 35 minutes. If you have a very large rack of ribs, you could increase it to 40 minutes. Be sure to close the sealing valve.
Spare ribs are what this recipe calls for and they are a thicker rib than baby back.
When the ribs have finished cooking, allow the steam to naturally release for 20 minutes. This will allow for the meat to continue to cook and they will become fall-off-the-bone good.
Once the steam is released, carefully open the Instant Pot and transfer the ribs to a baking sheet or broiling pan with the bone side down.
In the recipe, it tells you to save some rub for the broiling process. Now is the time to use that. Sprinkle the rub on and then broil the ribs for 8-10 minutes.
There you have it. That is how you make the best keto instant pot ribs.
If you’re using Baby Back Ribs
If you’re using baby back ribs for this keto Instant Pot ribs recipe, then decrease the cooking time by 8 minutes.
Keto Bbq sauce
While I prefer ribs without sauce, many people enjoy a good sauce. My friend has a great recipe for Low Carb BBQ Sauce, you could also try this Smoky and Spicy Low Carb BBQ Sauce. If you want a version that you don’t have to cook, you could give this BBQ Sauce a try.
If you’re shopping for low-carb barbeque sauce, look for ones that don’t have sugar. Most specialty grocery stores carry varieties that are made without sugar. However, you need to pay attention to the type of sweetener and avoid ones with dextrose, sucralose, maltitol, and maltodextrin (to name a few). Sweeteners that are better for the keto or low carb lifestyle include monkfruit sweetener, erythritol, and stevia.
Sides to Serve with the Best Keto Ribs Recipe
As with any low carb meal, there are endless choices of great ingredients. You don’t have to have boring steamed vegetables. I personally love roasting vegetables but some might want a salad to go with this keto Instant Pot ribs recipe.
Connect with Yellow Glass Dish!
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to join the @yellowglassdish community on
You can also join the YGD Facebook community! Also, get awesome low carb recipe inspiration on Pinterest.
For THM friends, this is an (S)
The Best Keto Instant Pot Ribs
- 1 Rack of spare ribs 3-4 lbs
- 1 T Smoked paprika
- 2 T Lakanto monk fruit sweetener
- 1 tsp Cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Salt Separated
- 1 t Dried parsley
Instant Pot Liquid
- 1 C water
- 2 T liquid smoke
- Salt ribs with 2 tsp (or more to preference) and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix together 1 tsp of salt plus the other seasonings and save 1tbsp for use at the very end.
- Rub the seasoning mixture onto the rack of spare ribs (I suggest using gloves!).
- In an instant pot, place the metal rack on the bottom.
- Add water and liquid smoke to the pan (this is for steaming)
- Roll the prepared rack of ribs and stand them up on top of the metal rack.
- Close the lid and be sure the sealing valve is closed
- Turn the Instant Pot to High pressure – 35 minutes
- If using baby back decrease time by 8 minutes.
- Once the time is up, naturally release steam for 20 minutes.
- Finish by manually releasing steam.
- Turn on the oven broiler.
- Carefully remove the rack of ribs from the Instant Pot, transfer it to a baking sheet, or broiler pan, bone side down.
- Sprinkle the remaining seasoning and broil for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot | You can enjoy them with the dry rub or use your favorite low-carb bbq sauce.
– These are Fall OFF the bone style ribs! They may be difficult to transfer to the broiler. I suggest using two sets of tongs.
Recent Yellow Glass Dish Recipes You Will Love
- Bacon Jalapeño Popper Muffins
- The Best Low Carb Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Instant Pot Pork Curry
- Low Carb Holiday Desserts – Gluten-free & Dairy-free
- Cinnamon Swirl Keto Coffee Cake Recipe