Faux Smashed Potatoes | A Low Carb Radish Recipe
If you’re looking for a low carb version of smashed potatoes, this smashed radish recipe will hit the spot. Made with simple ingredients, this keto snack or side dish is very flavorful and satisfying without the added carbs.
**Disclosure** This post contains affiliate links, which means, if you click the link our website may make a small commission for advertising this product to you. It does not cost you more, but it helps to keep our site running.
Net Carbs In Radishes
Radishes are a very low carb friendly vegetable. There are only 2g net carbs in one cup of radishes. This means that this recipe is very keto-friendly.
Faux Smashed Potatoes
Sometimes you really want potatoes, but if you’re trying to consume fewer carbohydrates, potatoes won’t help you achieve that. This is why I created this keto smashed radish recipe. If you’re wondering what smashed potatoes are, they’re steamed or boiled potatoes, smashed, seasoned then roasted. They taste delicious but are definitely not low carb.
This radish recipe involves steaming radishes to soften them, smashing them with the base of a glass, then dipping them in a seasoning of parmesan cheese, garlic, and spices. Similar to the steps I mentioned above.
Smashed radishes do not have the same crispiness that smashed potatoes would have because of the difference in starch content. However, smashed radishes do have incredible flavor.
Ingredients for This Keto Smashed Radish Recipe
The ingredients for this radish recipe are quite simple:
- Trimmed Radishes
- Fresh garlic, pressed
- Parmesan Cheese (Fresh preferred, but any will suffice)
- Dried Parsley
- Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper (To taste)
Tips for making This Smashed Radish Recipe
Trim and wash your radishes. Then steam them in a vegetable steamer basket in the Instant Pot (steam 3 minutes) which takes about 13 minutes to come to pressure then manually release. Or steam the radishes on the stovetop for about 6 minutes or until they are tender enough to insert a fork.
On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place drained radishes across the tray and smash each one with the base of a flat glass or some blunt, flat object. Drizzle oil over the radishes and make sure they’re lightly coated on each side. This will help the coating to stick.
Mix the spices and cheese together on a plate then gently dip each smashed radish in the coating.
Bake at 425°F for 16-18 minutes or until they become crispy and are lightly browned.
You can serve this with sour cream if you’d like!
Other Recipes You May Love
Connect With Yellow Glass Dish!
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to join the @yellowglassdish community on
For THM friends, this is an (S)
- 12 oz Radishes trimmed
- 2 cloves Garlic pressed
- ⅓ c Parmesan Fresh, preferably
- 1 tsp Dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and trim radishes then steam them in the Instant Pot in a vegetable basked with 1 cup of water.
- Steam for 3 minutes then manual release (12 minutes total to get to pressure/release in an 8qt).
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place steamed radishes on a pan or flat surface and use the bottom of a glass or jar to smash the radish. Pat the radishes dry with a paper towel then drizzle oil over smashed radishes.
- On a plate, mix all of the seasonings and coat each radish in the seasoning. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment.
- Bake at 425°F for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown.